PARSEC Group, Inc., an international support, training and consulting company since 1986, is continuing its growth. On occasion, we need to increase our staff to be able to maintain our high level of quality service to our customers. Check back here to see our current opportunities.
Senior Unix Systems Administrator
PARSEC Group is seeking a highly motivated Unix Guru with experience in one or more Unix operating systems for a full-time on-site Senior Unix Systems Administrator position in our corporate headquarters nestled near the foothills in beautiful Arvada, Colorado.
The Senior Unix Systems Administrator will be joining a team of world-renowned US-based technical experts, and will be responsible for providing top-tier technical support, consulting and training services to PARSEC's customers for the Unix operating systems, while also learning other enterprise-level operating systems and how they interact with Unix environments. In this role, the Senior Unix Systems Administrator will be enabled to troubleshoot issues & provide technical direction to a customer base which encompasses Fortune 500 corporations & Federal Agencies in order to solve mission-critical challenges alongside other PARSEC software experts. PARSEC Group’s customer base includes a variety of industries, including (but not limited to) Manufacturing, Transportation, Healthcare, Electrical & Nuclear Power, Oil & Chemical, High Tech, Research & Scientific as well as Public & Private Utilities.
The duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Taking technical support calls from clients to answer Unix based questions, solve problems, and create procedures on AIX, HP-UX, IRIX, Linux, Oracle Solaris, and Tru64 UNIX. Experience in two or more of those operating systems is highly preferred. Excellent opportunity for on-the-job training for the Unix variants you are not familiar with!
- We sometimes do work directly on client systems using a consulting arrangement, which is mostly done remotely but occasionally may be on-site.
- Developing and presenting fun and engaging mini-presentations [technical webinars that make you shine] for our clients’ system administrators approximately every two months.
- Performing remote system monitoring for select clients to ensure maximum uptime for their mission-critical environments.
- Provision and support lab hardware and software resources to support client-environment simulation. Lab resources are much like client resources with the same operating systems in play. Our lab is a playground of classic Unix gear.
- Work with PARSEC’s Account Management team to assist in providing project planning & technical direction to prospective & existing customers, as needed.
- Help identify other potential opportunities to further provide additional support to our clients; engage Sales - have fun brainstorming [dazzle Sales with your brilliance] a quotable solution that meets the needs of what was uncovered.
- Accurately documenting activities and time spent in PARSEC's activity tracking system.
The ideal candidate possesses all of the following skills and experience:
- Minimum 3 years of training or experience in systems administration
- Strong troubleshooting skills on multiple Unix variants
- Participate in on-call rotation for 24x7 support incidents on an ongoing basis
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Willingness to expand knowledge to include other operating systems and environments
- Knowledge of operating system administration
- Specific knowledge of shell scripting, logical volume manager (LVM), block storage management, NFS, CIFS/Samba, network troubleshooting and routing, file system and account security, and performance tuning under Unix environments. Be ready to answer questions about these items in a technical interview situation
- Self-motivated team player
- Willingness to teach in small classroom environment every few weeks or months
- B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent and relevant degree; work experience in lieu of degree may be considered
|Schedule:||Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm, with on-call and occasional after-hours responsibility|
|Virtual:||Prefer in the office, but will consider remote candidates with the right qualifications|
|Salary:||Commensurate with experience|
|Travel:||Limited travel; not more than 4 weeks per year is expected|
|Relocation:||No, this position will not cover relocation expenses|
|Background Check:||Required before employment begins|
|Credit Check:||No, could be required later based on customer requirements|
Some of the benefits we offer our employees include:
- Paid Time Off
- Medical insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- 401K retirement plan
- $10,000 life insurance
- Major paid holidays as recognized by PARSEC Group
- Fun and interesting team work environment
- Many opportunities to expand technical skills
- Close proximity to outdoor activities in Arvada, Colorado. We are across the street from a 2.1-mile trail that connects to other parts of Arvada including Skyline Park which has tennis courts, a skate park, and other amenities one can walk to, even during lunchtime!
We are looking only for candidates willing to join us directly as W2 employees. No third party candidates. Applicants must be authorized to work in the U.S.
Interested in one of our openings? Simply send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. We'd love to hear from you!